What is Total Shoulder Arthroplasty?
Total shoulder arthroplasty is also known as shoulder replacement surgery, is a surgical procedure in which damaged or worn-out parts of the shoulder joint are replaced with artificial components. It is typically used to relieve pain and improve function in patients suffering from severe shoulder arthritis or other degenerative shoulder conditions.
Why is Shoulder Arthroplasty done?
Shoulder arthroplasty is performed to treat a number of conditions that cause significant pain and impairment in the shoulder joint. These are some of the conditions:
- Osteoarthritis: A degenerative condition in which the cartilage in the shoulder joint wears away, causing pain, stiffness, and limited mobility.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder that causes joint inflammation, which can cause pain, swelling, and deformity.
- Rotator cuff tears: Tears or ruptures in the tendons of the rotator cuff muscles, resulting in weakness, pain, and limited shoulder function.
- Avascular necrosis: Avascular necrosis is a condition that occurs when the blood supply to the bones of the shoulder joint is disrupted, resulting in bone death and deterioration.
- Trauma: Severe shoulder joint injuries, such as fractures or dislocations, can cause significant pain and limited mobility.
Shoulder arthroplasty can improve the quality of life for people suffering from these conditions by reducing pain, increasing mobility, and restoring shoulder joint function. When non-surgical treatments, such as physical therapy or medication, have failed to relieve symptoms, the procedure is usually recommended.
Common Shoulder Arthroscopy Treatments:
Depending on the extent of the patient’s joint damage, an orthopedic shoulder specialist may perform one or more of these procedures during the shoulder operation. Typical arthroscopic procedures consist of:
- The cartilage labrum, which lines the rim of the shoulder joint, must be removed or repaired.
- Correct any damage to the Rotator cuffs.
- The elimination of any bony growths or “spurs” that could inflame and hurt your shoulder.
- Ligament damage repair
- Elimination of irritated tissue or slack cartilage
- Treating frozen shoulders and recurrent shoulder dislocations
- Chondrolysis is the term for damage to the joint surface’s cartilage, which can trigger the early stages of arthritis.
After the surgery is finished, the incisions will be stitched shut and dressed or bandaged. The majority of surgeons use the video monitor to take pictures throughout the procedure so they can show you what they find and the repairs they’ve made.
What is the recovery time for shoulder replacement surgery?
The recovery period varies from patient to patient and is also influenced by the kind of surgery you had. On the first day following surgery, you should typically perform lumbar exercises with your arms. During the first week, you must dress and feed yourself. Be careful when driving. Continue driving only when you are certain that it is safe to do so.
Why DR.Apoorv Patwardhan for Shoulder Arthroscopy in Pune?
DR.Apoorv Patwardhan is the Best Orthopedic shoulder specialist in Pune who performs the surgery using all the advanced technology which gives the best result. He provides an accurate diagnosis, specialized treatment, personalized care, and improved outcomes. A shoulder specialist doctor has extensive experience performing shoulder arthroplasty and other shoulder surgeries, and they are more likely to use the most up-to-date techniques and technology to ensure the best possible outcome. Seeing a shoulder specialist doctor can increase the likelihood of a successful outcome and better management of shoulder conditions.
It can take six months to a year to fully recover from shoulder arthroplasty, and patients may experience pain and swelling during this time. To regain range of motion and strength, physical therapy exercises are usually required for several months.
Shoulder Specialist in Pune offers advanced and modern reverse shoulder arthroplasty. A Shoulder Specialist’s orthopedic surgeon uses minimally invasive arthroscopy to replace the shoulder joint with effective shoulder implants, restoring mobility and normal function.
For advanced shoulder arthroplasty, Shoulder Specialist has collaborated with the best orthopedic Clinic in Pune. The Clinic are well-equipped with cutting-edge technology and world-class surgical instruments. In addition, Clinics have diagnostic facilities to help with the treatment process. To visit your Shoulder Specialist Clinic in Pune, contact our medical coordinator today to schedule an appointment with the best orthopedic surgeon for shoulder arthroplasty.